Last Updated: August 13, 2018
The Smart Home Study (“SHS,” “we,” or “us”) is designed and implemented by the Smart Home Consortium, companies focused on improving energy usage throughout California. These companies include: Alternative Energy Systems Consulting (AESC), Oxygen Initiative, Center for Sustainable Energy® (CSE), and Itron, Inc.
SHS values the importance of protecting your privacy and personal information. This Privacy Notice applies to information we collect when you use our website, mobile applications, and other online products and services (collectively, the “Services”), or when you otherwise interact with us, including through phone or email communications, and/or in person. This Privacy Notice applies only to the Services provided by SHS during the designated time for the study.
SHS may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. Should we make any changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of the policy. In some cases, we may communicate with you more directly by providing you with additional notice, such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you notification.
For details regarding any choices we offer in connection with our information practices, please see “Your Choices” below.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We may collect data, including personal information, you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you fill out a form, create an online account, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: Log information about your Internet use, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: Information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, determine which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails to help deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness.
- Third party’s information: Information (such as name, email address, number) about a third-party who you chose to refer to SHS. In doing so, you represent that you have the permission of that third party to share such information with SHS. A third party who chooses not to participate in the study may opt out of receiving future communications from SHS by emailing email@example.com.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources. Some of the information may be obtained from publicly available sources and other information we may obtain from third parties like mailing list providers, industry lead generators, and event coordinators.
Use of Information
We may combine the information we collect about you and use this information for various purposes, including to:
- Deliver the products and services, process transactions, and send you related information, including confirmations;
- Provide, maintain and improve our products and services;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about the products and services, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our products and services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect your rights and property and those of SHS and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide content or features that match user profiles or interests; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice:
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf in support of SHS purposes;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process, including in connection with lawful requests by law enforcement, national security, or other public authorities;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of SHS or others;
- In connection with any membership changes to the Smart Home Consortium, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
- With third parties in anonymized, aggregated, pseudonymized, or de-identified form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you;
- Between and among SHS, any authorized affiliates of the California Energy Commission (CEC), as they may deem necessary, subsidiaries and other companies worldwide under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
SHS takes reasonable physical, technical, and administrative measures, and contractually requires our suppliers to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Since the Internet can never be completely secure, we cannot warrant or ensure the security of any personal information you provide.
According to of the California Business and Professions Code, as a California resident, you have the right to request a copy of the personal data SHS holds about you and/or to correct any inaccuracies within such data, and SHS is required by applicable laws to respond to such requests. You may address such requests to the contact information provided in the “Contact Us” section below. SHS will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct, or delete information that we hold about you or to advise you if we are not required by applicable laws to comply with such requests.
You may update, correct or delete information maintained by SHS in your online account by logging into your online account or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need additional assistance in modifying your information or if you wish to delete or deactivate your account, please email us at email@example.com. We will make good faith efforts to respond to your request within 30 days. Please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or the purposes of this study. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party flash cookies used in connection with our Services. To delete or disable flash cookies, please visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html for more information. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
California Privacy Rights
Residents of the State of California, under certain provisions of the California Civil Code, have the right to request from companies conducting business in California a list of all third parties to which a company has disclosed certain personally identifiable information as defined under California law during the preceding year for third party direct marketing purposes. The law also provides that if a company has a privacy notice that gives either an opt-out or opt-in choice for use of your personal information by third parties (such as advertisers) for marketing purposes, the company may instead provide you with information on how to exercise your disclosure choice options. While SHS does not intend to provide personal data or information to third parties for commercial purposes, we are, via this privacy notice, providing you with details on how to either opt-out or opt-in to use of your personal information by third parties. SHS qualifies for the latter option and is, therefore, not required to disclose a list of the third parties would they were to receive your personal information for marketing purposes or otherwise during the preceding year.
You may learn more about your rights under California’s privacy laws at https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.